Swirl Wine Bar & Market

Monday, January 13, 2014

What We're Drinking, Staff Favs for 2014!

One of the downfalls of being in this business is that I get bored quickly.  With a constant parade of wine reps at the bar on a daily basis, sampling and selling their liquid wares, I'm always on the hunt for something that excites my palate.  There is so much amazing wine out there I have a hard time sticking with the same selections month after month.  The pros or cons of this, depending on how you view it, means that our inventory is rotating constantly. 

But what I also have to remember is that every one's tastes and passions are different and it is that diversity that makes all of this so interesting.  So in putting together our new wine menu I asked the staff what they are particularly excited about drinking right now and their enthusiastic response has resulted in one of our best menus yet! Here are some of their comments and be sure to come in for a drink at the bar as we have over 25 wines by the glass and more than 300 options by the bottle for you to choose from.

Casey Foote - My Brother caught a ton of fish from the Gulf before Christmas, froze them and gave me a bunch so oddly have been drinking a lot of whites this winter.  Loire Valley whites and Assyrtiko from around Greece goes great with those lovely fishes!  On the list:  2011 Montintin Sancerre and the 2012 Sigalas Aa, Assyrtiko/Athiri Blend

Kimi Kiviranna - I've been really into Loire Cab Francs lately and had one at August that I fell in love with! And even though it's not technically rose' season, I like seeing something interesting on the list for our year round fans.  On the list:  2010 Château du Hureau Tuffe Saumur Champigny and the D'Oupia Minervois Rose'

Matt Snyder - We were cooking gumbo the other night and I needed a bottle to pair with it.  I took home a Cotes du Rhone that was gorgeous with or without the food and highly recommend it!  I'm also really happy to see some of our Greek wine favorites back on the shelf and that Xinamavro is always a hit.  On the list:  2010 Terres d'Avignon Armoiries Cotes du Rhone and the 2012 Thymiopoulus Young Vine Xinomavro.

Adam Tustin - I took home a bottle of Montepulciano D'Abruzzo last night and think it would be a great, inexpensive by the glass pick!  On the list:  Farnese Fantini Montepulciano D'Abruzzo.

Erin Rhoads -  We've got so many great wines in our "cheap & tasty" section that would make delicious glass pours at good price points. Plus the Regaleali white from Sicily is always lovely and a nice introduction to Sicilian whites.   On the list:  2012 Amalaya White; 2012 Juan Gil Honoro Vera Monastrell plus the 2012 Tasca D'Almerita Regaleali Bianco
 
And me?  Even in the winter I find myself reaching for refreshing delicious whites most of the time unless I'm having a meal that demands a red.  If I'm eating a meat based dish or having some of those great Olli Salumi, I always reach first for an Italian red!  On the list: The 2012 Albert Mann Pinot Blanc and the 2012 Zabu Grillo and the 2010 Corsini Birillo from the Maremma in Tuscany


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails